Thursday's Tokyo Olympics schedule: Men's soccer kicks off with Brazil-Germany gold rematch, Mexico vs. France
The Tokyo Olympics men's soccer tournament kicks off Thursday with a rematch of the 2016 gold-medal game between Brazil and Germany, and another big game between Mexico and France in the group stage.
The U.S. men failed to qualify for the Olympics, capped by a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Honduras in March. It's the third straight Olympics to not feature the U.S. men, who last appeared in Beijing in 2008.
Men's Olympic soccer differs from the women's tournament as the men's teams are only players under the age of 23 – with three overage allowed. The women's tournament features full national teams.
THE LATEST IN TOKYO: Sign up for our Olympic newsletter to get exclusive insight
INSIDE SCOOP TO TOKYO, TEXTED TO YOU: Sign up for Olympic texts, where we’ll be your official guide to the Games
Olympic Channel: 3:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Live streams are also available – with a cable subscription – on NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports app.
• Meet the team responsible for feeding Team USA in Tokyo
• Armour: Grudge match with Sweden the perfect opener for USWNT at Tokyo Olympics
• 10 to watch: Caleb Dressel, a medal favorite in multiple events, is always pushing to get better
• Athletes in surfing, skateboarding, climbing see Olympic inclusion as chance to change perception
• Brennan: Olympic leaders' nightmare scenario has become reality in Tokyo
Contact Emily Leiker at [email protected] or on Twitter @emleiker