2022 Concacaf World Cup Qualifying: USA vs. Costa Rica - Starting XI, Lineup Notes, TV Channels & Start Time
2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying – Final Round - Match No. 6
Oct. 13, 2021
Lower.com Field; Columbus, Ohio
Pre-Game Coverage: 6:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2, ESPN+, UniMás, TUDN
Kickoff: 7 p.m. ET
Social Media: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; U.S. Soccer on Facebook , The U.S. Soccer App
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT COSTA RICA
• With an average age of 22 years, 229 days, tonight’s Starting XI is the youngest fielded by the USMNT in a World Cup Qualifying match, beating out the lineup that began the
• Gregg Berhalter makes nine changes to the lineup that faced Panama on Sunday, with forward Paul Arriola and midfielder Yunus Musah as the two holdovers.
• Nine players are age 24 and younger: Antonee Robinson and Miles Robinson (24); Weston McKennie (23); Tyler Adams (22); Chris Richards (21); Brenden Aaronson and Sergiño Dest (20); Ricardo Pepi and Yunus Musah (18)
• In his return to Ohio, former Columbus Crew goalkeeper Zack Steffen joins center back Chris Richards as the two players that will make their World Cup Qualifying debuts, taking the number of WCQ debuts to 23 during the current cycle. That figure already ranks as fourth most all-time for the USMNT after 1998 (29), 2006 and 2010 (26 each).
• The other nine players all started in the 2-0 win against Jamaica last Thursday in Austin.
• Steffen will play his first USMNT match since the Concacaf Nations League Final against Mexico on June 6 in Denver. The goalkeeper departed the match in the 69th minute after suffering a bone bruise.
• Earning his fourth overall cap tonight, Richards will also make his first start for the USMNT.
• Midfielder Tyler Adams captains the USMNT for the fourth time tonight and second time this window after wearing the armband in the 2-0 win against Jamaica last Thursday. The team is 2-0-1 with Adams as captain.
• Both Brenden Aaronson and Paul Arriola have previously scored against Costa Rica. Aaronson tallied the opening goal in the last meeting between the sides – a 4-0 win in a friendly on June 9 in Sandy, Utah. Arriola scored the second goal in a 2-0 friendly win vs. Los Ticos on Feb. 2, 2019 in San Jose, Calif.
• With 18-year-olds Yunus Musah and Ricardo Pepi in the lineup, two teenagers will start for the USMNT for a fourth-straight match.
• Should he appear tonight, midfielder Kellyn Acosta would extend his consecutive games streak to 20 matches, dating back to the 6-0 win against El Salvador on Dec. 9, 2020. Acosta’s run of games is the most by a USMNT player since Landon Donovan played 35-straight matches from 2001-2003.
• Starters Tyler Adams and Weston McKennie and substitute DeAndre Yedlin carry yellow cards into tonight’s match against Costa Rica. Should any of the trio pick up another caution tonight, they will be suspended for the USA’s match against Mexico on Nov. 12 in Cincinnati.